Thursday, May 21, 2009

Don't Blink

i remember when Cai was a tiny newborn baby. She had these enormous blue eyes that almost made her look other-worldly with her miniature pale face & dainty features.
When she was only a couple of months old, we were invited to dinner at someone's house & among the guests was another family with a baby daughter too. Their little girl was 8 months older than Cai, & the mom looked at my teeny elfin princess & said, "Isn't it unbelievable that these two will be in kindergarten together??!!" i must've looked at her like she had 3 heads. The thought of my little girl growing into a toddler, preschooler or kindergartener had honestly *never* occurred to me. (i know, i must be a fairly short sighted person...) i couldn't fathom the light years that we were away from formal education. i felt like her babyhood would last forever.
As i remembered that conversation this morning, the realization hit me that 5 years from now, the same amount of time between her babyhood and kindergarten - i would be watching my girl graduate. Suddenly it didn't feel like an eternity. It felt like a blink, a moment, just a tiny measure of time left to me.

God give me what i need to make each and every moment count.

5 comments:

Jen said...

What?!? Kindergarten? Kellan is staying a baby FOREVER!!!!!

jessica jespersen said...

*crying*... ha haa! I must have caught the sobbing flu like you had the other day. I love that pic of your kiddies. You will have to do a re-do now that you have some new additions since. --j

Vanessa said...

Oh Paige! I'm feeling this soo much right now, just like always after a new one is born-I wish there was a way to remember every second, every little sigh, and outline-but somehow it never stays. And at the same time, his big siblings keep growing and changing soo quick, and I feel like I can't possibly capture it all...

mamazee said...

love it, paige...
that's how i feel, too - he's 13 going on 30 some days... and i want to keep him my little boy, with his legos and pokemon (well, all right, he's not that grown up if he still has those, right?)
but these years have been so good - sometimes hard, sometimes so sweet they make your eyes water, always so challenging, and using up every single bit of everything i have - and when he gets to be a man, it will still be my son - and i think i will care just as much as i do now...
i wonder if moms ever feel "finished". "See you, honey! Have fun out there in the world!"...
doubtful :)
but what a ride!

Melissa said...

Only hours before I read this, I thought to myself, "I can't bear to miss any of this... it'll all happen way too fast and Meaghan's babyhood will be over before I know it... and if I blink, I'll open my eyes to find her all grown up and married with babies of her own! STOP!"

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

playlist