Monday, May 3, 2010

perspectives pt. 2

k, paige - time to take stock and see where you're at.
i was biting my nails - it has been a tough few months - hard to keep your chin up when you're limping and dribbling milk...
But i'm a pretty tough honest girl, so take stock i did.
& when i lifted my eyes to the little ones surrounding me -
What a pleasant surprise awaited me...
Cairo had finished her curriculum for the year & was on chapter 7 of a children's novel she's writing...
When i downloaded reading lists for grades 8 & 9 to get ideas, i realized that Sloanie had already read several of them - even though she's only in grade 6.
Peyton only had 8 math lessons left for the year - & has learned to do her lessons independently. She's also reading fluently at grade level - and reading for pleasure constantly, just like her big sisters.
Charter's blog is his pride and joy - he's full of ideas and creativity. His math has been completed for several months and even though it pains me to listen to him read Pokemon stories (*yawn*) - i love listening to my boy read...
& then there's the new addition to our homeschool - little mollen - who writes me full page stories and is reading well above grade level.
i don't know why i allowed myself to wallow, only focusing on what needs more attention.
Learning is happening - despite me, around me, because of me, unbeknownst to me....
& isn't that all a part of the plan?
i'm late posting today because i had my last facilitator meeting for the year.
We made some tentative plans for next year which i'll likely share as they take shape... & i feel good again.
Yeh, we had a new little baby, a potty training boy, a broken knee cap & a daddy who travels. We hit learning plateaus and breakthroughs. We worked hard some days & not at all other days. Winter was long - spring is reluctant.
It's the beginning of the end of my 8th year of homeschooling.
i'm hopeful & excited about my 9th...

5 comments:

Denise said...

Well... you can't be doing any worse than "Mum I got 18% on my last Math test!"

... and I said to my dear son, "That's really great... now next time let's try to get 82%... and then I told him maybe we'd better try some extra homeschooling so he can pass the next one!!!"

And so I don't think the new Math curriculum is helping and the new first year Math teacher hasn't gotten thru to this fellow yet... but there are a few more weeks and assignments to do before the final evaluation...

But it does make me think twice about the way the public system teaches (or doesn't) -- as the case may be...

Any advice for getting multiplication, addition and subtraction facts memorized would help... gotta intervene somehow as there are concepts he just isn't "getting!"

Frustrated Saskatchewan Cousin....

mamalena said...

Three cheers for crysalis academy. You are doing a super job Paige! The kids are doing great...and the sports program is super and the music is too....and the art....and the home economics. All the "extra-curricular". Well done everyone!

Mindy said...

Hooray! And I'm glad you're at a happy decision as far as public school vs. homeschool goes. I hope the news was received well, too.

farm_girl_4_jesus said...

I love reading the kids' blogs. What's the address for Charter's?

farm_girl_4_jesus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

playlist