Sunday, April 17, 2011

laziness, late bloomer or learning disability?

That was the name of the seminar at AHEA (alberta home educators association - homeschool convention) that so poked at my secret fears and those lies that create shame - ("you're not a good enough mom or teacher, you don't have enough time to homeschool seven children, you let one slip through the cracks"...) that for much of it, i sat in the front row letting big fat tears roll down my cheeks.
"Who is here because they *know* their child has a learning disability?"
Hands are raised all across the room...
"Who is here because you *suspect* that there's something different with your child?"
More hands are raised - and i recognise the feeling of relief in the eyes of those other mommas and daddies as they get to say out loud, "i'm lookin' for answers..."
Homeschool mamas - it's ok to have littles that struggle.
The woman teaching the seminar gently poked at my protective heart; "God has a plan for *your child*".... Those learning quirks aren't going to disappoint the Father who *created* that wee one.
More on the convention tomorrow...

5 comments:

Lori-Dawn said...

Oh I SO wanted to sit in on that one! But I think I was likely running into people I knew...lol

Vanessa said...

Wish I could've been there :( I wonder if there's a recording on this particular talk?

Lori-Dawn said...

Yup, there are recordings for all the talks except for the exhibitor talks and I don't think that one was an exhibitor talk...check out the AHEA website for more info...

Marcy Payne said...

I have a child with a learning disability (Asperger's and Anxiety Disorder) and I am choosing to homeschool him next year because I know, after seeing our public school abilities, that it will probably be the best thing I've done for him. I am nervous as all get out that I may fail him big time, but it is so worth the risk in my opinion. I know you do right by your children too. Get some help if you need it. I look forward to sitting in on these conferences in the future. At least, I hope I will get to. I am only at the beginning of my homeschooling adventure.

mamalena said...

I like the part about the fact that God will not be disappointed with His own workmanship. It's so true.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

playlist